Sunday, June 16, 2019

Summer Eats

Anyone else's kids eat twice as much during the summer? No? Just mine?

I find myself answering "can I have a snack?" just about every 5 minutes it seems. So we've come up with a system that works (at least for us). The system involves some preplanning on my part - which I really dont mind - its just adding a few things to my grocery list each week.

I keep two snack baskets in our lower pantry shelves. One has applesauce, fruit bars, and beer jerky sticks. The other has granola bars, PB crackers (occasionally fruit snacks or little Debbie's).

The rules is they get TWO snacks from these baskets each day. I dont care what or when but once they've had their two they have to pick from our other options.

Our other snacks get kept in the fridge and include cheese sticks, fruits (apples, pears, grapes and oranges) and prewashed veggies (carrots - the big ones, my kids wont eat the baby ones, sliced cucumbers, mini bell peppers).

They can have 2 of these snacks a day. Again, I dont care what or when but when they've had their two they're done.

Bedtime snacks. This is something I'd love to get rid of but my kids have been conditioned to think they need a snack before going to bed. So they have 3 choices:
Mini-twist pretzels
Graham Cracker
Popcorn

We also keep cups on the counter making it simple for them to get themselves a drink whenever-and saving me from having to do a boatload of dishes each day!

This is our "usual". Not our everyday. Somedays we're out and about so they eat less. Sometimes we are in the sun all day so we munch on popsicles. Somedays I throw caution to the wind and we make a huge batch of snack-mix with sugary cereals, pretzels, m&ms etc and we munch on it all day!

I'd love to hear any tips you guys have on keeping kids full all summer long!

Next up - my summer meal planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment