Thursday, June 27, 2019

Day Trips

I almost want to keep this to myself. But at the same time I feel like this is a hidden gem in our city and maybe, like me, you have kids that need outings and you get tired of the same old thing.  

I've lived in this city for 20+ years and have only ever been to our public museum once (probably 20 years ago). I dont remember tons about it but I do remember that I wasnt overly impressed. So when friends recommend it to me I was a little skeptical. For our family of 8 to go on outings, it can get pricey so I put it off for a long time. In all honesty I only purchased a membership for the sole purpose of getting into a different local attraction for free. Let me break it down for you:
*A year membership at our GR Public Museum is $65. It would cost more than that for us all to go once.
*The membership gets you into the museum, planetarium, and unlimited carousel rides (my head is still spinning). 
*Reciprocal memberships are amazing! The Airzoo, Impression Five, museums in Chicago and tons of others FOR FREE!!!

Here's a glimpse into our time at the GRPM. My kids have all said its way better than the childrens museum and we are already planning our next visit!

The doll room was a favorite spot. Huge doll house to play with. Dolls from every era - my girls thought this was really neat!
The main area had large games for kids to play. We could've spent the whole day here and the kids wouldve had a blast!

 Ephram's favorite were these little ride on airplanes!
 My favorite was the old streets of GR! There is a working printing press and an old soda fountain. The employees are dressed in era appropriate attire and gave us tons of fun facts about how life was in that time period!
 Amelia trying an old school bike
 The planetarium/space part was cool. Next time we'll stay for the planetaroum show!
 The TOY exhibit was amazing! Toys from ever era and the kids were encouraged to play with them. It was fun to show the kids what I grew up playing with. And since grandma came along she showed the kids the toys she had when she was little!
 Abram loved the hall of soldiers z my history buff was amazed by all the different uniforms.
 There's an entire section dedicated to the animals that are common in our state. The kids all took turns measuring themselves against this giant sturgeon.

 A wigwam from early settlers.
 All smiles! No one wanted to to leave. We will definitely be going back. And we'll be using our reciprocal membership this weekend for another local attraction (stay tuned)!

Maybe I've been living under a rock and I'm just preaching to the choir. If that's the case then I'm jealous of all of you! I wish I had known about this amazing spot sooner. But better late than never!  If you need a fun outing, grab your kids and head to the public museum. Buy the year membership! It's totally worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment